Author Topic: Trim Tabs  (Read 11580 times)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Trim Tabs
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 04:01:54 PM »
This one Red ?

The Carlson Intimidator was a fun project. I worked at the Carlson plant on Grove Street in Anaheim from 1979-1981 and was part of the development team. We quickly learned that the Jet and Outboard bottom on the CVX 20 wasn't quite right for a stern drive application (5.7 MerCruiser/260HP w/Alpha Drive). Our prototype boat probably went to the water (Golden Avenue in Long Beach back then) nearly a dozen times. We brought along several buckets of "mud" (quick set bondo) and lots of sanding blocks. We'd run the boat, bring it back to the trailer, add or subtract some material on or off the bottom to see if we could pick-up a mile or two and make it handle better. After about a month of testing we had a really good running hull (69-70 mph on radar with 2 people in the boat). Glastron corporate in Austin was a little nervous about selling a 70mph stock boat to the general public so we had to make a couple more bottom revisions to slow it down a tad (top speed of the production version was 65 mph). The CVX 20 was an amazing boat -- at that same time we came out with the "Ski Machine" (CVX 20/outboard) that was a super tournament style boat, especially for serious slalom skiing. And of course, there were a few (2 or 3) custom/handmade CVX 20s that had a "pad" bottom and raced at the Lake Havasu Outboard Classic and the Parker Enduro -- but that's another story.

The minor bottom changes to the Intimidator included adding a little hook to the bottom (the last 3 to 4 feet -- about 1/4") and just slightly reducing the depth of the two lifting strakes closest to the keel so the boat didn't ride quite as high out of the water at top speed. Basically, just wanted to increase wetted hull surface and create more drag. If you really wanted to pick-up speed on a CVX 20, modifying the vee-keel into a true running pad was the trick. Alan Miller, an employee at the Carlson plant in Anaheim did the first one. After that we built several (super lightweight) center steer, pad bottom (no mold) CVX 20s for Mod VP racing. Evinrude supported the effort with some well built/modified 235 HP V-6 engines. Well known Unlimited hydroplane racers Bill Muncey and Chip Hanauer were part of our driving team. When everything was right, these special "race" CVX 20s with a 235 Evinrude were good for about 90-91 mph.

Offline Fuzzbutt

• '77 Silver/White CVX16 Deluxe
    • Mykeeshond.com
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 07:58:12 PM »
That's awesome trivia Gregg.

Now I really want one.
"You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you've made up your mind that you just aren't doing anything productive for the rest of the day."

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 08:04:08 PM »
Thanks Gregg - I've read that and I was thinking the 'Timi was closer to a 70 MPH boat during testing when they decided they had to slow it down. The CVX18 California Special ran low 60's and the marketing brochure for the CS Special made the point of noting that the Intimidator was faster. So it makes sense that it was about a 65 MPH boat when offered to the public. Which is haulin butt.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:29:03 PM by CVX Fever »
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Fuzzbutt

• '77 Silver/White CVX16 Deluxe
    • Mykeeshond.com
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2014, 08:12:25 PM »
Kind of makes one want to flip their boat upside down and fix the surface back to true. As I remember Tom Brown did that to his -16 and hung a huge outboard on the transom. From his pm's I gather mid 90's was his top speed. All the power in the world doesn't seem to get the hull out of the water enough to cut the drag drastically.
"You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you've made up your mind that you just aren't doing anything productive for the rest of the day."

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2014, 08:17:31 PM »
Tom Brown's comments on the CVX16 ...

CVX16 ...

That's a lot of very specific questions about your boat. You wrote that all input is welcome and I have a CVX-16 so I'll take a shot at answering a few of them.

When the floor and stringers are that rotten, the hull will loose some of it's shape. The hull itself is quite plastic. In the same way, you can straighten it. I built a torsion box out of MDF, set the hull on it, and then put large amounts of weight on the stringer when I glassed it back in. The weight was in the form of a couple of anvils and some sandbags. That straightened things out pretty good. I only had to fill about 1/8" of hook to get the pad straight.

My pad was not horizontal coming out of the mold but it was close enough. It doesn't have to be that accurate. Mine was built in Austin.

I'd be more worried about the hook in the pad than making it horizontal. For best speed, knife edge the back but understand it will be very difficult to make paint stick to a knife edge.

I wouldn't move the tank, particularly if you care about rough water handling.

I modified the pad and inner strakes quite a bit. What I learned is that I should not have modified it. There are benefits but not significantly so. If you extend the inner strakes to the back, the extensions will be extremely difficult to get to stay on. Just look at the cracking behind the inner strakes you have now. All CVX-16 hulls are cracked there. There is a lot of flex in that region, particularly in your case with a really heavy engine and then another heavy lump of jack plate.

Oh yes... 150hp e-tec. Nice engine. Good power. Pretty heavy for a CVX-16 but not the worst I've seen. I'd nix the hydraulic plate, though. Keep it light. Consider a manual RapidJack. I think the manual 6" R-J is only about 35 pounds and it's a stout piece. My handling improved noticeably when I ditched a heavy CMC plate in favor of the RapidJack 6" manual.

Hydraulic steering is great. A foot throttle is a requirement.

70mph is extreme speed for a CVX-16. You'll have a hard time getting there with a 150hp e-tec ho. 60mph is easy with that power. 65mph is possible. 70mph is a stretch, to be honest. It's possible but not with a heavy boat and you don't seem at all concerned with weight.

Keep it light. Don't modify the hull. Straighten the pad, sharpen the inner strakes and trailing edges a touch, and leave it at that. Nothing else matters at speed. Even the pad and inner strakes barely matter at these speeds. It's a lot of work for little gain. It's worth it if you're rebuilding a hull but just barely.
 For all those hours you are going to put into that hull with glass work, there are more gains to be had by simply removing the windshield.
 The CVX-16 is a great little hull. I still enjoy mine but I enjoyed it less when it wasn't as hard core as it is now. Once you start modifying the pad, jacking the engine to the moon, and doing all the stuff that is required to go fast, you will probably discover it's not as fun. It will be more exciting, though.
 They make a great ski boat. Make sure you glass in some hard points to mount a boarding ladder at back, when you rebuild it.
Oh... and loose the floatation foam. It will just make you sink faster, at this point. Once it water logs, that stuff is like rock. Forget it. You don't need it.

Offline V153

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2014, 09:30:45 PM »
If I should live so long, I'm gonna get me a 90mph Glastron ...
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 10:53:34 PM »
This one Red ?

Thats the one, thanks, I'll save it this time.
Thats one of the reasons I hang around here, you guy's hold a Welth of information,

1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2014, 03:18:39 AM »
Bill Muncey's (One of the race drivers for the Glastron/Carlson CVX-20) CVX-20 boat was for sale after his death powered by a Johnson 235 HP. It was listed on the Glastron site for around $6,000 years ago. Had his name inscribed on the dash.   

http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3951
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 03:25:05 AM by David CVX-16 »
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop