Author Topic: mercury premium plus oil  (Read 7052 times)

Offline badgercarlson

mercury premium plus oil
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:53:52 AM »
In my 1977 Merc 1150, I want to start using Mercury Premium "Plus" oil instead of Mercury Premium oil which I have been using for many years.  Got about 4 gallons of gas remaining in my 18 gallon tank.  Can I just fill the tank up with the gas/oil mix using Premium Plus or do I need to run the tank down to empty?

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: mercury premium plus oil
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 10:05:47 AM »
Both are regular oil so shouldn't have a problem.
Might want to do it if you were changing to Synthetic oil though ...

Offline badgercarlson

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 11:41:15 AM »
That's what I figured.  Thanks.

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 09:08:11 PM »
I switched to Mercury Premium Plus on my Evinrude 175, based on all the things I read about the differences over the regular Premium, not sure how much of a difference there really is, I'm certainly not an oil expert, just hoping to make this old motor stay strong as long as I can. I simply switched over with probably 3-5 gallons in the tank, maybe should not have done that, I don't know, but I do know that the Premium Plus says right on the bottle that it is a synthetic, so if you are not wanting to use a synthetic, you may want to look into something else. I know it costs quite a bit more, I just hope that it's actually doing more!  ;D
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:29:26 PM »
After reading Jerry's post on Amsol I did some reading on there Synthetic 2 cycle oil.
Didn't find any bad comments on it, but found some people getting increases of 200 rpm's and cleaner running motors plus less smoke/smell.
Price for a pint is less then a dollar over Evinrude XD30 oil.
Will do some investigating on the Merc Premium Plus ...
I know Dave P. uses the Premium Plus.

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 04:04:08 AM »
Mercury Premium Plus and Quicksilver Premium Plus are the same product. They are both a synthetic blend. The Mercury Premium is a fossel oil. Mercury also makes a 2-stroke oil for the Optimax and the DFI. If you want to learn more about the Mercury Premium Plus, go over to the Stream and Fly Website. This oil is used by many high performance mechanics. The Yamaha and Evinrude/Johnson oil may be just as good and if I had these motors, would probably use that oil. I would only use a full synthetic if my RPM's were much greater, say over 7,000 RPM. The Mercury Premium  Plus is used at 50 to 1 and this is extra protection for old or bad fuel, out of tune engines, etc.  The oil is not cheap, but neither are outboards.

This from Jay Smith Racing:

"AHH the OLD oil debate AGAIN ! This is what I posted on Allison board years ago and IMO it has been bullet proof for me and my many customers:

IMO about oils:

First there are many great oils out there ( some better than others and most of that conclusion is strickly opinionated from hear say and not acutal hands on visual comparisons ) 99.9 % of ALL outboard failures are NOT oil related. I tear down, modify and build 1 to 3 engines a week with the every brand of oil thats sold used in them and I have came to several very apparent conclusions about whats good, better and best ( like Sears Roebuck advertised )

I have through research ( and observed failures first hand NOT hear say stories) come to the conclusion that steel sleeved engines live better on a blend, no matter who's blend.. Pen, Mercury ( Golden Spectro ) , etc...And a syn oil can be used on steel IF the ring thrust tention has lessoned so that the ring is not applying to much outboard thrust pressure to the bore ( OR TOTALLY BROKE IN )

Coated sleeved engines run and make MORE power on 100% syn oils after break - in on dino ( about 100 gallons of gas ran thru with the dino oil ) ( the reason Mercury doesn't suggest the running of a 100% syn oils in the race engines is THEY DON'T SELL OR OFFER ONE !!!!!.)

Certain oils that are designed to be recreational in nature should be used in engines turning 8000 or less rpms and under less stress. Anything turning over 8000 for extended run life at BIG rpms should use a specific oil for the stress and load those engines create.

As I said there are many good oils out there but always be careful listening to the "oil experts" most of the time there is a hidden agenda , THEY SELL IT AND MAKE A LIVING WITH YOU FOLLOWING THEIR SUGGESTIONS that results in AN OIL SALES and $$$ in their pocket.. I on the other hand don't make a dime on a drop of oil sales.

There are IMO two oils I have seen ran and litterly peel the chrome off the journal of a Mercury V-6 crank.Other than those two Bad Actors I don't think there are any TCW3 approved oils that would blow up a motor due to lack of quality,under recreational loads syn and or dino in make up , most outboards engines have way more reasons and causes for failure than oil quality...I'd say 99 to 1. Quanity or lack there of of oil takes many more out that quality..

Most of the time availability and price on recreational 2 cycle engine oil sales will always turn me toward Penn., or Mercury as they are always available at Wally World or most larger auto and sporting good outlets. IMO to ship a big $$ over kill oil for a recreational engine from miles away and eat not only the over kill price of the oil but the freight in these economic times is a bit ..... well your call. BUT if your stressing a motor over the protection of the "norm" by all means buy an oil to protect your investment.."

Another reason to use a synthetic blend over fully synthetic:

"The main reason is the steel bore engine I run the PP (Premium Plus). Its suposted to lubricate the steel beter than Synthetic from what Ive been told. Something to do with the porise nature of steel over Nic and other coatings being much smoother. Synthetic makes sence with a smooth finish over one with small pores. The PP blend holds in the pors longer for better lubrication. A few racer guys that build motors for a living have told me the same thing that I know and trust."

« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 04:38:30 AM by David V-153 »
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 05:58:23 AM »
I've been running OB's on Johnson/Evinrude and Pennzoil for years without any problems. Mix it correctly every time and you will have years of service from your motor. I think that's where people get in to trouble. Too little or too much and they have problems and blame the oil. Most of these fancy oils are overkill for rec use. Kind of like running premium gas in a car that is recommended to use regular. It doesn't make it run any better or give more power.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 09:25:05 AM »
Maybe at Red Wing we can have a Merc tank and OMC tank with Amsoil 100 to 1 so everyone can try it.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline badgercarlson

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 09:59:18 AM »
The reason I am switching from Mercury Premium oil to Mercury Premium Plus is I am hoping that my 1150 will smoke less in slow-no-wake zones.  Want to get the boat out this week to see if it makes a difference.   

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 10:15:11 AM »
The reason I am switching from Mercury Premium oil to Mercury Premium Plus is I am hoping that my 1150 will smoke less in slow-no-wake zones.  Want to get the boat out this week to see if it makes a difference.   

Well, I can tell you from my experience that running Merc 3+ (non-synthetic) vs. Amsoil Saber showed no appreciable difference in smoke at idle. 

It was recommended by my mechanic that I get off the Amsoil stuff and switch back to regular and couldn't tell the difference smoke wise.  He had torn down a few older outboards running Amsoil Saber only would say that he hadn't seen enough to know if it was good or bad oil to use, only that they had 'worn out, low compression, etc' he hadn't seen any failures in outboards running Merc 3+ due to oil...and that was good enough for me.

I didn't have a bad experience with Amsoil Saber, but I really didn't notice a difference in smoke at idle. 

YMMV of course.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 11:18:28 AM »
As far as smoke, with the premium plus in my 175, it coughs out a cloud when I start it, but there is quite alot less smoke than the premium when idling around warmed up. Other motors may have different results, and mine is premixed, not a VRO.
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 11:20:04 AM »
Yeah, you might be right Wex...I might be mixing 'smell' vs. 'smoke'...I know both gave my wife headaches...so really didn't matter what oil I used.
1990 Sierra 1700