Author Topic: transom repair to 1973 cv16ss  (Read 1797 times)

Offline bwnh

transom repair to 1973 cv16ss
« on: July 28, 2019, 12:27:35 PM »
Good afternoon-
I have FINALLY gotten to work on the cv16ss- the motor is now out, and the block is at the machine shop being evaluated.  I have cut off the inside layer of fiberglass of the transom, and pulled all wood out, exposing the inside of the outside fiberglass, and am now preparing to purchase plywood.

The original transom measured 1 1/4-ish inches thick.   The original plywood bits were several layers... I think.  When it was coming apart, it seemed like 2-ish layers came apart...

I am wondering of the advisability of putting in 1 layer of 1 inch plywood, building up thickness to the original 1 1/4 inch thickness with fiberglass... OR... using 2 or more layers of thinner plywood, with epoxy between.  If I use thinner plywood, I might be able to bend it better into the back corners (the transom is not "flat", the cv16ss has those interesting curves in those back corners.)

Thoughts on this?  Does anyone have any experience with this?

Sincerely,

Bob W
New Hampshire
1973 cv16ss

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: transom repair to 1973 cv16ss
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 01:18:01 PM »
My CV16 outboard had two sheets of 1/2 inch ply screwed together with four screws and glassed into transom.
I replaced with two sheets of 3/4 ply with a piece of 1708 or 1808 fiberglass sandwiched between.
I didn't try to curve wood on rear corners, just glassed it in.
Most rebuild threads on CGOA forum are missing pictures, but you could look thru it for some info.

Different stringer design, but transom might be similar ..
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=4062.0